Friday 28 November 2014

Things I've Learned


In my few years of life (19 specifically) I feel I have learned the most about myself in the most recent years and months. I find it ironic that I spent almost 14 years in education and it's only as I left that I began to learn anything of any importance.

Now, I'm not suggesting that I am a great holder of wisdom or that I could tell anybody anything they don't already know, but I do feel that sitting down and recalling what lessons you may have learned is always a beneficial thing for your self worth, even if it doesn't particularly teach anybody else anything new. So here we go:

  1.  It is okay to feel confident. - we live in a changing society, one where acceptance is key. More people seem to be pushing for equality and body image acceptance on various levels, yet I still think there is a lot to be desired for how people treat girls who are 'vain'. I have never had HUGE hang ups, (I'm not saying I've had none, that would be a lie for anyone I'm sure) but I've almost always tried to hide that fact, due to the popular opinion that if you are self confident then you are vain/self obsessed. Maybe that is true? I don't know- but I do know that I don't care either. If you feel like you look hot to trot in your leather jacket and killer heels, work it girl! 
  2. Opinions of others may build you, but they don't define you. - I feel it would be stupid to recommend that other people's opinions don't matter, there are always going to be people who you care about, people who have your best interests at heart. Even negative opinions can help us learn things about ourselves, but they definitely aren't so important that we should take to heart every one. Personally this is something that has taken me a long time to accept and learn, I have always been hurt by people's words and actions, but I've now learned that this is not the be all and end all, if you think I'm too skinny and talk too much, I really don't care. Somebody definitely loves that about me.
  3. You don't have to keep negative people in your life - in my life I seem to have spent a hell of a lot of time apologising. Apologising for annoying people, apologising for being hurt, apologising for people's actions and frankly I've rarely heard the word sorry from the ones I've been so apologetic too. I have wasted so much time on people; trying to make amends and engage in uncomfortable conversation in an effort to make up for problems I often haven't actually caused (not all the time, I'm not suggesting I am faultless or perfect). The thing is, though, it's got me nowhere. All I've done is ended up with people in my life who I could have easily let drift away instead of letting them dig there heels back into my world and repeatedly hurt me. I didn't need to do this. And I shan't be doing it anymore. 
  4. You don't have to do things that make you unhappy - you can be happy with your day to day life, if you hate your job and routine, change it. If you wish you could make a living out of your hobby, try it. If you don't want to go to that party that everyone is going to and you absolutely MUST go to - don't go. 
So there are four gems of wisdom from a 19 year old, pretenscious and patronising as it may sound, I fully accept that I may not be your first port of call when it comes to life lessons. However this little post has helped remind me of those little pointers if nothing else, and I've really enjoyed writing it! 

2 comments:

  1. I'm 19 too! I love all your points: I very rarely feel confident but I think number 1 is a good point - everyone has perhaps an item of clothing or pair of shoes or something that makes them feel amazing and confident and that's such a good thing - it will make you happier to acknowledge it for sure!
    Btw I love your blog name, this year I actually made 1000 cranes (with a little help) for a project so I am now a little obsessed with anything to do with paper cranes ;)

    http://alovetriangle.weebly.com

    https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ALoveTriangle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think confidence is so important - I feel that it is definitely a choice. You have to look at yourself and think 'today, I'm going to focus on the good'. Oh wow! thats amazing, We had hundreds of paper cranes at our wedding, they looked amazing. I've made paper cranes for my hubby since we first met so that's where the name came from! I followed you on Bloglovin :).

      Delete