Tuesday 6 January 2015

Pursuing Something I Love :: Photography


As my last post kind of infered, I've had a bit of a struggle over the last couple of months trying to discover what truly makes me happy.
Happiness is so important, and I am a firm believer that happiness is a choice. Although many aspects of my life have made me incredibly happy, there were things on my schedule that were dragging me down. I don't wish to make this post a moan though, this blog is about me moving forward, after all. 

Basically, I have finally discovered what I want to do, and, as the title suggests, that is photography. Photography is something that I have dabbled in for a long time now, I got my first DSLR Camera when I was sixteen and since then I have drifted in and out of Photography as a hobby. In 2013, I attended college and began an A Level in Photography, but never finished it. My tutor was always incredibly supportive, she believed that I had a flair for photography and always believed in me, but life got in the way and I called it quits. Is it a decision I regret? Not really. I didn’t learn what I wanted to in college, it was a very tight curriculum which starved me of creativity and I don’t think that completing my A level would have made much difference to my abilities now. 

It is only in the last couple of moths that I have returned to my love with a fresh point of view. I feel like I am looking at photography from an entirely different perspective. I wanted to be better, I wanted to build my skill into an art, and I’d say I’ve learned more about photography in the last two months than the last few years. I have spent so much time reading, researching, watching tutorials and reviews, learning my camera so that I can use it to it’s full potential, I finally feel like I have something that is mine. My sister has always been an amazing artist, my husband an incredible musician, and I have always thought myself to be a little lost when it comes to talent. But now I have a passion. Something that I can mull over for hours, something I can learn. I feel it has helped my anxiety greatly too, having something creative to channel those feelings into. It is frustrating and there are times I feel like throwing my camera out of the window, but it is also enriching and satisfying, it makes me happy.

I know that my blog has been very ramble recently, but I suppose it’s taking me a while to find my feet, although I want this blog to encompass everything I love, I don’t want to confuse my readers. It may just take me a little time to find my niche, just hang in there for a little longer. Now we are in the new year I am aiming to get a little more continuity in my blog, maybe split my posts into more defined categories rather than posting whatever comes into my head at any given moment. 


If you could choose any career path, what would it be?

1 comment:

  1. I did A level photography for both years and I agree completely with you - I learned very little and my creativity wasn't really welcomed during the course. I know I've learned and gained more skills by reading and playing around with my camera myself, so I know exactly what you mean :)

    alovetriangle.weebly.com

    https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ALoveTriangle

    ReplyDelete